On 12/22/2010 09:29 PM, sweetievee wrote:
> I'm just getting started with GIMP 2.6 and I have no idea what I'm doing.
> I've tried doing an internet search for tutorials but I'm having trouble
> finding ones specific to my needs and ones that are based on the version of
> GIMP that I'm using. I tried clicking the tutorial tab on this website but it
> only shows me the upgrades that GIMP made to the 2.6 version. I need some
> sort of new user/layman tutorial. Does anyone know where I can get this?

Gimp isn't evolving so fast that tutorials writtten for 2.2 or 2.4
can't be used on 2.6 with a grain of salt...

> I've done airbrushing and recently tried to paste transparent words as a
> layer. However, when I want to move a layer I previously pasted GIMP won't
> let me select another layer. How do I do this? I've searched over the GIMP
> tabs and can't figure it out. Please help!

As long as your pasted layer is a  "floating selection" you won't be
able to move anything else. You have to anchor it (ie, make it part of
the active layer when you pasted) or create  anew layer from it before
you can move the other layers again.