So, I have used Gimp to downsize large architectural drawing images from Tiff's
to jpgs.  Well, I always thought I was downsizing them.  In the past, the
process always seemed to make the files more usable in the application where I
need to use the architectural drawings without a significant loss in quality.

This morning, I have had trouble following 'my process'.  Typically, I will
open a tiff in Gimp, save as jpg, export if prompted, then select quality of 40
or 50 percent, and the result is a usable file that is significantly smaller
than the source tiff file.

Today, the source tiff which is 900 mb in size is being converted to jpg which
is 6 or 7 mb in size, totally unusable.

Additionally, if I simply open the source in Gimp, save it to another directory
from Gimp without making any changes, the file also grows to 6 or 7 mb.

What am I doing wrong this morning that I have not been doing wrong for the
last 6 months?

I am stumped (and frustrated because I have work to do).

Using version 2.6.11 in Ubuntu 10.10 if that matters.

I have a version of 2.7 on my Windows XP OS, and it will lock up trying to open
these drawings.

It's curious, because, at 900 MB, I typically can use the drawings without even
altering or downsizing them.  Today, it's a problem.

What I really cannot understand is why Gimp is causing unaltered files to grow
in size when saving them.  Is that normal?

Advice will be most appreciated.

Caruso

--
Carusoswi (via gimpusers.com)