On Saturday 23 April 2011 07:53:49 Carusoswi wrote:
> So, I have used Gimp to downsize large architectural drawing
images from
> Tiff's to jpgs.  Well, I always thought I was downsizing them.  In
the
> past, the process always seemed to make the files more usable
in the
> application where I need to use the architectural drawings
without a
> significant loss in quality.
>
> This morning, I have had trouble following 'my process'.
Typically, I will
> open a tiff in Gimp, save as jpg, export if prompted, then select
quality
> of 40 or 50 percent, and the result is a usable file that is
significantly
> smaller than the source tiff file.
>
> Today, the source tiff which is 900 mb in size is being converted
to jpg
> which is 6 or 7 mb in size, totally unusable.
>
> Additionally, if I simply open the source in Gimp, save it to
another
> directory from Gimp without making any changes, the file also
grows to 6
> or 7 mb.
>
> What am I doing wrong this morning that I have not been doing
wrong for the
> last 6 months?
>
> I am stumped (and frustrated because I have work to do).
>
> Using version 2.6.11 in Ubuntu 10.10 if that matters.
>
> I have a version of 2.7 on my Windows XP OS, and it will lock up
trying to
> open these drawings.
>
> It's curious, because, at 900 MB, I typically can use the drawings
without
> even altering or downsizing them.  Today, it's a problem.
>
> What I really cannot understand is why Gimp is causing
unaltered files to
> grow in size when saving them.  Is that normal?
>
> Advice will be most appreciated.
>
> Caruso

Are the architectural drawings available in a vector format such as
svg or pdf? These are normally much smaller for drawings etc.
than their bitmapped equivalents.

 If not you might have better luck importing them as bitmaps into
Inkscape and then converting them to svg or pdf using either trace
mode or outline mode.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: