I'm having trouble accessing text layers in a logo I am trying to make.

Each time I create text, it gets put into its own layer; that seems to
be the way GIMP does things. I'm fine with that. However, once I've
completed making a text layer and moved on to creating a second text
layer, I can't seem to get back to the first text layer to make changes,
such as the colour of the text or the size of the font.

The window for the graphic indicates that there are several layers but I
can seem to get back to any previous layer. I don't see any menu options
for accessing one of the other layers. PageUp and PageDown don't show me
the different layers. It's as if the layer's content, colour, font, etc.
can't be changed once I've started a new layer.

What am I doing wrong? How do I access the layers that I created before
the current layer?

I am using GIMP 2.6.11 and running on Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2.

--
Rhino