---- Patrick Horgan <phorg...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 08/31/2011 08:31 AM, jfrazie...@nc.rr.com wrote:
> >
> > Once I finally got GIMP compiled, I can see my tablet
> > in the input devices, but they are greyed out along with
> > all of the below:
> > SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
> > Virtual core XTEST Pointer
> > Wacom Bamboo Fun 6x8 cursor
> > Wacom Bamboo Fun 6x8 eraser
> > Wacom Bamboo Fun 6x8 pad
> > Wacom Bamboo Fun 6x8 stylus
> >

> > The ONLY thing that is NOT greyed out is Core Pointer.
> >

> I suspect this is a wacom driver problem of some sort, but the folks
> that can really help are on a different mailing list wacom-discuss.  If
> you follow the link below you can sign up to it.

> They are HUGELY friendly and responsive.  They'll ask for some information,
maybe then for some more information and pretty quickly they will diagnose the
problem.  You'll be happy!

> Patrick

No, I would say it has to do with the GIMP build process itself.
Long story, short after 4 re-installs I have come to determine
that the 2.6.38.* kernals don't seem to like (some????) nvidia cards.
I googled and tried tons of things with no luck.   Sooooo...I ended
up reverting back to 10.10 and am hoping 11.10 will actually work correctly
with my video card(on a laptop.. so can't switch out!).

On 10.10, I installed gimp 2.6.* from apt package and the pen works with
pressure sensitivity AND the input devices work correctly for editing.  ie,
Gimp 2.6.x works fine.

I then built/compiled all of the prerequisites(Glib, GTK+, gdk-pixbuf,
pixman, cairo, babl, gegl) and then gimp into its own prefix  BUT the same
issue is happening, so all I can assume from this is that it has to do with
some from the build process(or something missing!)  However, this time while
the items are all greyed out, the pen pressure DOES work this time.  The thing
that does not work is the stylus/eraser(meaning that they won't 'bind' to
separate tools and remember them).   Ie, it's working as a regular mouse +
pressure.
One thing I did see when configure ran was in the optional modules section
of the output, I got this:

Linux Input:   yes (GUDev support: no)

While this is a bummer, it is something I can live with for a few months
until 2.8 is actual release and hopefully the packaged build will work
properly even if I have to build the prerequisites manually.   Hopefully by
that time, 11.10 will also be released and I can make a test partition to
see if it agrees with my video card.