On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 09:55:50AM +0100, Alan Buxey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> can I see some references for these values? Seems that number
> is just climbing all the time. can the human eye distinguish
> more than 26-bit? Even at 4kx3k, you've only got 12million pixels
> that can be of different colours.

This is "dynamic range" vs. "absolute number of colours". The human
perception varies a lot accoridng to the environment, and, while the human
eye has difficulties with a large number of different colours, it is very
sensible to banding, and different media (film) must support a very large
dynamic range.

Digital effects filters also eat a lot of resolution.