Hi Pat,

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:52:25 -0500
Pat David via gimp-web-list <gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote:

> Hello Shlomi and Marco!
>
> > 1. How is Hugo superior to Pelican wrt the gimp.org site?
>
> There are a few ways (this is based roughly on a fun dive through various
> static site generators over the last 6-7 years):
>
> 1. It's a self-contained binary for the generator. No other requirements or
> dependencies.
> 2. It's under very active development by the community and pushes updates
> and security fixes almost every month (or a couple of times a month).
> 3. It's FAST to build a site. Right now if you change something in gimp.org
> with Pelican it takes around 3-4 minutes to build the site. Hugo has been
> building in a few seconds (for some of the other sites I've done that are
> not too far off in similar size).

Even if you change the inner content of a single page? I think using Pelican to
build gimp.org (from scratch) was faster than 3 minutes here - I can check
again.

> 4. The source/output file organization is a better mental model of how a
> site would normally be built (pages for directories, lists, etc etc - I had
> to hack at Pelican to get the generator to build output similar to what was
> sitting on disk.).
> 5. Easy i18n support out of the box (this might require some modifications
> to interface with po files to support marco, I'll look into it).
> 6. Did I mention it's fast?
> 7. We (pixls.us folks) have migrated all of the sites we're managing over
> to Hugo already (just finished up the darktable.org migration) so it makes
> it easier for me to ask other users to help out as they're already familar
> with the tooling (asking them to look at pelican usually results in silence
> in IRC... :D :D :D ).
>
> I have not gotten a consensus per se, other than to see if current people
> hacking at it would be ok with it (nmat, maybe Jehan but I haven't bothered
> him with this yet).
>
> Ultimately my hope would be that we can lower the barrier to entry for
> creating content/posts on the site and possibly engage the broader
> community more (one can hope...).

All these sound like good reasons.

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://github.com/shlomif/shlomif-computer-settings/ - my dotfiles

<danderson> “We are NO LONGER the knights who say ‘BitKeeper’. We are now
the knights who say ‘git, git, git, cogito — Linus!’.”