Hi Sebastian,

yes, that was my point, I agree completely with you.
Fixing my test was not the issue, my question was whether we want to
define explicitly the semantics of this scenario.
Personally, I believe the combiner should be ready to receive 0
messages, as it's the case of BasicVertex::initialize(), putMessages()
and compute(), and act accordingly.

In the particular example, I believe the SimpleSumCombiner is bugged.
It's true that the sum of no values is 0, but it's also true that the
null return semantics of combine() is more suitable for this exact
situation.

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.marte...@gmail.com