Combiners should be commutative and associative. In my opinion that means reducing to a single message or none at all. Can you think of a case when more than 1 message should be returned from a combiner? I know that returning null isn't preferable in general, but I think that functionality (returning no messages), is nice to have and isn't a huge amount of work on our side.

Avery