I cannot even write more than a helo world in ruby, but - if you want
to trust someone that claims to be incompentent right away:

Looking at app/models/user.rb I conclude

def activated?
    # the existence of an activation code means they have not activated yet
    activation_code.nil?
  end

-> Activation is checked by looking if there is an activation code

# Activates the user in the database.
  def activate
    @activated = true
    self.attributes = {:activated_at => Time.now.utc, :activation_code => nil}
    save(false)
  end

-> Activation just means deleting the activation code and setting a
timestamp. The latter is probably not important?

 def make_activation_code
      self.activation_code = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest(
Time.now.to_s.split(//).sort_by {rand}.join )
    end

-> This sets an activation code (and therefor the user is _not_
activated after that, see above).

If this blows up your system I'm not to blame, but I'd just try to
comment this single line in make_activation_code. I suspect that this
leads to users being created without an activation code, which again
should treat them as activated by default.
Note: This doesn't handle sending mails (I can try to look for that,
if you want). I'm only concerned with "auto-activation" for now.

Regards,
Ben