Hi there.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
<marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Alberto <alberto.pil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> After two weeks of unlucky attempts to get the system working, now
>> everything seems running except the two following problems :
>>
>> - The login (https://servername/gitorious/login) page shows only text,
>> without images or other graphics. If I remeber correctly this page
>> should show a simple big orange-colored login / register interface.
>> I'm still able to login and browse the rest of the environment though.
>
> Alberto,
> Deploying Gitorious on a sub directory currently does not work with regard
> to the location of stylesheet resources; these reference image files from /
> - which would not work in your case. One thing that would resolve this is to
> use relative URLs in the CSS files. In stead of:
> background-image: url(/foo/bar.gif)
> you would use
> background-image: url(../foo/bar.gif)
> that is, reference the images relative to the directory containing the CSS
> files themselves.
> I suppose what most people do is deploy Gitorious on a virtual host, which
> would not require these modifications.

I stumbled upon this limitation as well. If you cannot use this
solution right away (for example if you don't control DNS or cannot
change each and every client's HOSTS file): That was exactly the
situation I was in.

A workaround (I only did that for a very limited deployment):

- Edit the /etc/hosts file on the server, add 127.0.0.1 someinvalid.vhost.here
- Deploy gitorious in a vhost with that name on the server
- Enable mod_proxy
- Create a definition like this for your default ("/") site in apache

<Location "/git">
  ProxyPass http://theLocalOnlyVhostName
  ProxyPassReverse http://yourRealHostName/git
</Location>

Hope that helps. But removing that limitation from gitorious itself
would be great, obviously.

Regards,
Ben