This was my experience setting up Gitorious on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server

http://www.bluequartz.net/projects/ElectronicImaging/SCMService/html/gitorioussetup.html

Mike Jackson

On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Hedge Hog wrote:

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Will Daniels
<daniels.w...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hello again :)

Just spotted this thread has come back to life. Sorry I kind of gave up on it...just too many problems. First off is gem, which is completely at odds with apt and gitorious will need _all_ references to gem eliminated by the packaging. That much I accepted, though I didn't know about the
gem issue initially. So I started to package up the needed gems
individually, joined the ruby-extras team at Debian and got my first gem
package approved there (oauth I think).

But then I went on to rdiscount...I thought it all looked OK
license-wise so I went and did all the packaging for that then noticed it was using the 4-clause BSD license. So I contacted the author (David
somebody) and asked if he would consider updating the license to the
newer 3-clause BSD that is compatible with DFSG. But he basically said he was already well aware of the issue with distro packaging but didn't want to change it and he is using the old 4-clause license deliberately.

Obviously BlueCloth is an alternative there, but I think I ended up
finding a few other problems and by the end of it I was changing quite a lot of the gitorious code to move things for FHS compliance, deprecate
gem, change to Bluecloth and whatever else that it became quite a big
job and I soon ran out of time.

Sounds like this was a little painful.
Gitorious is on my to do list, so I have not experienced an install.
Nonetheless.
If there are so many moving parts it might be easier to have a Chef
and Puppet cookbook?
In fact this was the plan of attack I had in mind when I got to trying
Gitorious.
The main reason was that a chef cookbook would allow for different
configuration/usage scenarios to be specified, e.g. intall from repo's
head vs a tar ball.

Has anyone tried setting up a chef/puppet cookbook?

Best wishes

It's not that it's too impossible really, but the project at work I
wanted to use it for went down the tube and then I got ill for a while
and I just never found the motivation again to pick it up afterward.
Though I'm still happy to help out a bit if somebody else wants to take
up the gauntlet.

It was always my intention to host it in a PPA on launchpad, there's
really only one line in the changelog that you need to update to put a
Debian package in a PPA for Ubuntu. But since launchpad is only
integrated with Bazaar I don't see any value in hosting any other part of it there - it's just as easy to work with git using git- buildpackage
etc. then dput *changes to upload the result to a PPA for the build.

It would obviously be nice to get the package into Debian proper, which
would then go automatically into Ubuntu repos on the next sync, but I
might have been too optimistic to try to get everything properly
compliant with Debian from the start. Using a PPA would at least give
some flexibility to have it less-than-perfect but usable wrt FHS and
DFSG until everything is in place to send it for review.

I'll have a look and see where I got to with it...might help to start
somebody else off.

Cheers!
Will