Okay, I feel really embarrassed.

SslRequirement.disable_ssl_check = true

was not part of production environment. Last time I checked that, I grepped
and didn't check the filename - it comes enabled in the development
environment.

So, for reference: If you don't use the setting above, the plugin is going
to jump between protocols depending on ruby class attributes it seems,
providing a way to register "Need SSL all the time" actions and redirects
any other traffic to http.

After looking at the stuff now I think the idea was that you "return" to
http if your "elevation" for login/whatever is fulfilled. But it downgrades
to http unconditionally in that method for everything that doesn't care
about the protocol.

Bottom line: This is solved for me. I really thank everyone for wasting time
on this/me and hope this might help someone else in the future..