On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM, moleculezz <gdare...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > $ RAILS_ENV=production script/poller run
>
> Ok, so I did that, but is it normal that I cannot return to the normal
> command prompt?
> When I do ctrl+z it says:
> [1]+  Stopped                 RAILS_ENV=production script/poller run
>
> and then it returns to the normal prompt. Does this mean that when
> this is running I won't be able to do anything else on the server?

Once you know this is working (ie. the script doesn't exit with an error)
you can replace `run` with `start`. That will run the script in the
background.

> Also, do I have to do this each time if I reboot the server?

You need the script to start on server boot, preferably also have it exit
(and remove its PID file) on shutdown. You can use the same command, but
pass `stop` to it to have it stop.

You'll probably want to manage this through an init script, ie put it inside
/etc/init.d and use chkconfig (Redhat/Fedora distros) or update-rc.d (Debian
based systems) to start and stop at the relevant runlevels. There are
templates for such scripts included in doc/templates-

Cheers,
- Marius