On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Jed <jedbl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> so, is it possible to install git/gitorious on separate linux
> instances?

Well, yes ... kind of.

> I would lke to have the DB on a dedicated DB machine ( this seem easy
> enough)

That's one of the easy parts. Just point the config/database.yml file to
another server, and you should be good to go. Same goes for the message
queue and Memcached.

> I would like to have GIT/repo on its own dedicated linux instance
> I would like serve up Gitorious front-end on my apache www instances
> that already in place and on a secured DMZ subnet

This, however, is not that easy - yet. The web/app server needs access to
the git repositories to work, and git over remote file systems is probably
not something you want to do unless "remote" means SAN or equivalent. The
main issue here is the way Gitorious accesses the git repositories, which is
basically (although through a library - Grit) is done by shelling out to the
git tools.

In order to have several servers access the same repositories we'll need to
have some kind of network protocol to handle the repository access.

> Is this possible?  are there any tutorials or can someone give me some
> bullet points on how to go about this?

The "good news" is that gitorious.org runs with this setup, and we won't be
able to do so forever. I would expect Gitorious to support this later this
year...

Cheers,
- Marius