Hi.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen
<marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The question is: once we have an easily installed, anonymous/authenticated,
> pull/push solution for Git traffic: is it time to deprecate the other
> protocol handlers in Gitorious:
> - The SSH handler
> - The Git handler (git-daemon or git-proxy)
> Would anybody miss them?

I would. The deployment of ssh is well-known and understood, and
probably already exists as a way to access machines/services in a lot
of shops. I trust ssh, trust the code quality and security audits.

The line between gitorious (access control, visualizations, wikis.. -
mostly 'extras' for my usecase) and git via ssh is very comforting. If
I break gitorious/if there's a vulnerability in gitorious, I can
easily give an alternate way to access the repositories to my users
(direct accounts on the machine, gitosis or something like that).

So while I understand the reasoning from a maintainer's point of view,
for me ssh is
- required on every installation anyway
- potentially already deployed to allow access to service (think:
migrating from svn+ssh to git)
- a nice way to separate authentication (not authorization) from gitorious

So my vote, if I get any, is:
Please keep ssh support as a maintained and stable option. I don't
care if installation instructions focus on http in the future (so - go
ahead and promote http over ssh, make the http experience a lot easier
to set up or something), but please don't remove the ssh handler or
let it rot.

Ben, running a gitorious installation with a couple dozen users for
1.5 years now