On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:51, August Lilleaas <augustlille...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a concern with the practicality of using client certificates
> over https instead of SSH.
>
> You can tell git which key and cert to use for client cert https
> connections. This is done via git-config, so it can be set both
> globally (--global, stored in ~/.gitconfig) and per project (/path/to/
> project/.git/config). Say you're using multiple Gitorious
> installations on a daily basis, i.e. gitorious.org, git.myserver.com,
> git.mycompany.com, etc. Wouldn't each Gitorious installation require a
> separate client cert? If so, you'd have to configure the key and cert
> on a per-repo basis. With SSH, you can use the same ssh keypair for
> all those sites, not requiring any per-repo config, since there's no
> ident info in the public key other than that you was logged in to
> gitorious.org when you added it.

This is definitely a valid concern, and we will investigate accordingly. If
it does have to be configured on a per-repo basis, we could ease this
process by providing a small cli to help out. But ideally, it would "just
work". Basically - if we cannot make the experience secure AND easy to use,
we will not drop easier alternatives.

Christian