On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:07:23 AM UTC-4, VladimirB wrote:

> After using  gitorious on several weeks , we see number of the
> limitations:
>
> 1.No private repositories, meaning no read access control.

I agree this is something I would love to have, but I don't have the ruby
chops to implement it.
There have been some attempts at adding this, but it ends up being
non-trival and the patches were only partial functionality
and only apply cleanly against pretty old versions of Gitorious.

> 2.No merge request on same repository different branch. Only merge
> requests from cloned repositories within gitorious.

you can do this with the standard git tools on the client side, other than
having a record of who did what in the web gui, I don't see this as a
Gitorious problem.

> 3.Download time is not so good, we must use mirror and update mirror
> manually after push.
>              •Once a developer pushed a change it does not reflected
> in the mirror right away.
>              •The developer must update the mirror manually in order
> for other to see his change.

I asked about this when I first started using Gitorious here for my team,
the answer I was given was to
set up the mainline repository as a read only remote origin and manually
pull from it, the reasoning was
you have more control and ALL the git local client tools to deal with
conflicts during a merge, a server side solution would
require manual hand intervention on conflicts anyway.

After 8 months of my team using Gitorious this hasn't been missed at all. We
just do a "git mainline master pull" when we want to see others changes.

I don't disagree with the reasoning now, it would just make more code to
maintain in Gitorious that didn't have great value.
I would rather see more robust administrative GUI solutions for managing
users, projects and repos than this.