On 03/14/2013 09:34 AM, drops wrote:
Hi,

I need help to understand the implications of public versus private.

I have source code that I only want specific users to be able to see.
Do I make the repo for it public or private?

How public is public? You seem to have to log in to access any repo
URL.

I created a test user and he sees all projects (= bad) and in these he
sees all public repos (= also bad). Is there no way to have a user see
only specific repos that he has been activated on?

How should I structure this? Ideally I would want only a few people
from a core team to have write access, and only specific users should
have read access. But they should be able to submit merge requests
with changes.

best regards

Oliver Drobnik
COCOANETICS

There's a couple of different options/concepts for access management in Gitorious, quick run-through:

Public/private mode: global server setting, public enables anon users to browse code and create accounts. In private mode anon visitors can no longer register accounts, and have to have accounts to browse any code

Private repo/project: All repos/projects are public to all users of the site by default (or event all anonuymous visitors on a public site, see above) but repos/projects can be marked private, in which case only users given access can see them.

Private by default: IIRC there's a setting in the config/gitorious.sample.yml file which lets you specify that repos should be created private by default.

Commiterships: Separate from public/private, you can specify who should have access to push code to specific repos.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Kjeldahl Nilsson,