I really don't understand the purpose in your response.  You talk about
hospitals, social development, etc.  I only discuss providing the
foundation, the tool necessary before activities can commence.
Secondly, I am far less keen to impose on different cultures a single or
limited conception of social development.  I would much rather provide a
tool that allows each to participate and develop as they feel most
suitable, and to later advance as appropriate to their context.  I see
this as a basic human right.  I do not seek to forge cultures in my
vision, and have no ulterior motive.

Telecenters are fine, simply representing least effective investment.
They serve smaller populations, and on limited geographic and time
availability.  In fact, they don't even address the need for improved
application platforms, providing services such as VoIP.  I suggest that
if they didn't employ computers, you'd receive NO funding for them
whatsoever.

I think there's another definition problem here. What is a social
divide, if not the unequitable provision of opportunity?  Telecenters,
while helping a minority, institutionalize a divide only because the
resources necessary to expend are no longer available to develop even
one, equitable, low-cost network and applications platform.

BTW, a low-cost universal network available round-the-clock would
certainly come in handy for those bereft of access to medical
assistance.

Techno-structure?  I think it a little unbalanced to blame the obvious
inappropriate relationship between government and business and, being in
a democracy, turn around and speak of social development.  Are you not
also responsible?  I urge you seek cure for your own ills first.  Tell
the government there needs to be more than a half-dozen webs residing on
the Internet, and one should be low-cost, universal and provide access
to basic communication applications.

The plain fact is that the money exists to end the digital divide, and
has always existed.  It is being spent less effectively, in a manner
that will not resolve the digital divide, but develop a political
constituency.  Our civil watchdogs are being paid off. This is not a
mystery but plainly evident for anyone who understands the technologies
involved.

Its great to talk of social development.  It's important.  But at this
time it, like telecenters, tends to deflect the sad truth that we are
not fulfilling our real responsibilities.  Funding, like technology, is
not the goal.  Both rely on the methods in which they're deployed.  I
suggest we know this already.

Alan Levy
Mexico, D.F.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<< Michel J. Menou wrote:

>> My true goal is to achieve universal access to IP
>> communications. It is possible, if sufficient
>> political will is created. This requires voices,
>> nothing more.

> Fine but this is not the only fundamental issue in
> development.

> The digital divide solely exists due to a
> surprising few reasons.

> While Mr. Levy's presentation of the vicious logic of
> telecom "markets" is quite appropriate, the digital
> divide is of limited concern if not considered as part
> of the overall social divide. It does not matter much
> to be able to call emergency assistance if one cannot
> pay for the treatment in the hospital and have to.

 <snip>

>> [More ominously, one might conclude government does
>> understand this, and is willing to sacrifice
>> generations to gain tighter control over
>> communications, and a subsequent power to
>> participate in determining who in the future will
>> own the small number of large content producers.
>> This creates franchises (ie. Disney) and also
>> generates taxes from worldwide sources.]

> This, and all the demonstration that preceded is
> certainly part of the picture. But "government" should
> be considered here a shorthand for "techno-structure"
> so much governments and big business have incestuous
> relations at this time. However, it is unlikely that
> change could occur in any area, much less the telecom
> one, as long as the overall premises and foundations
> of social "order" will remain unchanged.

 <snip>