I feel I must respond to Perry Morrison's Comments.

> It may be naive to think that ICTs in developing countries will suddenly
> make it matter when the West has a much greater ability to tune the
> message out, to corrupt it or just turn up the volume on its own orgy of
> self interest.

Whilst it is clear that Information Handling Technologies can be used by
powerful parties to mis- or dis-inform, I think it is important not to
view the "west" as a homogenous lump. Whilst it is true that the
emerging picture of the global power structure is being effectively
blocked out in the majority of mainstream media outlets, it has to be
remembered that awareness of these issues is greater than it ever was.

Whilst this does not neccessarily shift the decision makers of today, it
may affect the decision makers of the future. Some have said that old
ideas tend to die with those that hold them, and certainly change may
require a long view. This is especially true when it comes to the
material division of the spoils on a global scale. But to forget the
impact that information has, is to forget what governments, and for that
matter all buerocracies are made up of and how they operate.

They are staffed with real human beings and they will have to recruit
from an increasingly aware pool of educated young people.

The more accurate and relevant information that value driven groups have
at their disposal, the more that they will be able to influence
important decisions. And for that information to be accurate, and
relevant and to carry a certain legitimacy, it needs to be seeded from
input "at the grass roots."

Certainly it is important to focus on practicalities, but it is also
important to have the endurance to commit to longer term objectives. And
information handling capacity at, or at least nearer to, the grass
roots seems integral to this.

Daniel Taghioff