This is a classic example of where ICT infrastructure money goes... to
another one of countless channels:

"To amplify our power, there is the blendability of the new digital
technologies, the multiplying power of networks, the interdependability
of human beings - and, most important of all, the boundless power of
goodwill."

What does this mean? It means nothing, and for reason. What is their
goal? Visibility. For what purpose? To qualify for funding.

What are they offering? Nothing, save one more website talking about
collaborating to learn what they should be talking about. But it places
them in the forefront of funding. For what? More talking. The idea
being that, through talking, we can make the world better. Of course,
someone better figure out what those grandiose words mean first... and
maybe even learn a little ICT too.

And with luck someone will figure out you actually need networks.

Talking won't cure the divide, nor marginalization (nor hunger). This
is not a mysterious disease. There are certain technical requirements,
and political requirements. Nothing more. And the problem isn't
technical.

I monitor listservs dealing in digital divide issues. The Benton
listserv is quite illuminating... its small group of regular
participants have posted how to (1) extend grants even when there's no
need, (2) create a false appearance for aid applications, (3) support
political causes and candidates, and much more high fare. At least one
of the people posting such dubious information was a recognized divide
figure... from academia, and an early elite group honored by the UN.

There's a fine art to collaboration, if there's a legitimate goal. This
is how the digital divide dollars are (mis)spent. Governments promised
millions for digital divide infrastructure initiatives... where's the
money? You need only one sustainable network. Where's the network?

And puhlease don't shoot the messenger. India already has top-shelf
research, a proactive government, and busy universities and foundations
genuinely working on real ICT access issues.

This is more about money and power than the divide. And the buzzwords
that long ago lost their sincerity are now losing their meaning. Read
it again.

What year is this? What year are we supposed to "learn" to discuss
which applications should be minimally universal? When are we supposed
to "learn" to demand unrestricted deployment of VoIP? Or, to "learn" to
discuss funding for infrastructure? Or, to demand governments provide
spectrum to non-profits? What else is needed?

Learning is so much fun... why you can just never finish! This isn't
education, but only an ever continuing remedial class that achieves
nothing more than a false appearance.

The incumbents who are successfully lobbying to restrict ICT deployment
are the same ones funding these "talk" forums... instead of
infrastructure. Why? Ahem.

Alan Levy
Mexico, D.F.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]