Alan Levy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is a classic example of where ICT infrastructure money goes... to
> another one of countless channels:
>
> "To amplify our power, there is the blendability of the new digital
> technologies, the multiplying power of networks, the interdependability
> of human beings - and, most important of all, the boundless power of
> goodwill."
>
> What does this mean? It means nothing, and for reason. What is their
> goal? Visibility. For what purpose? To qualify for funding.
>
> What are they offering? Nothing, save one more website talking about
> collaborating to learn what they should be talking about. But it places
> them in the forefront of funding. For what? More talking. The idea being
> that, through talking, we can make the world better. Of course, someone
> better figure out what those grandiose words mean first... and maybe
> even learn a little ICT too.

Dear Alan, I can feel  your frustration but please try not to undermine
the efforts and the vision that goes with these efforts. I guess the
North still has to learn from the South. It is easy for the North to
look at these iniatives as another statistics. But believe you me with
all the lists I have been to including the digital divide list and this
new website which I have not had the chance yet to participate or
support due to lack of time it is working wonders for our nation a poor
country from the South.

There are problems at the top be it at government level and so on. But
with these initiatives it is empowering people at the bottom up level.
Which is may be why it is not gaining much recognition. May be in five
years time I can tell you what we have achieved for Somaliland. But in
the mean time I will not support the idea that a new opportunity
regarding digital opportunity is a waste of time and resources.

My hat is off to these hardworking individuals who have travelled that
extra mile to make difference for the South.

> And with luck someone will figure out you actually need networks.

I believe that networks take time and patience.

> Talking won't cure the divide, nor marginalization (nor hunger). This is
> not a mysterious disease. There are certain technical requirements, and
> political requirements. Nothing more. And the problem isn't technical.

My advise is that if we wait for these political and technical
requirements time will pass us by and opportunities will be lost.

> There's a fine art to collaboration, if there's a legitimate goal. This
> is how the digital divide dollars are (mis)spent. Governments promised
> millions for digital divide infrastructure initiatives... where's the
> money? You need only one sustainable network. Where's the network?

Governments need to be pressured to help those initiatives but unless
the iniatives and the projects are ready it will be difficult.

> And puhlease don't shoot the messenger. India already has top-shelf
> research, a proactive government, and busy universities and foundations
> genuinely working on real ICT access issues.

Maybe it is time for us to learn from the South iniatives. At the end of
the day it is all about collaboration and learning from each other's
experiences.

> This is more about money and power than the divide. And the buzzwords
> that long ago lost their sincerity are now losing their meaning. Read it
> again.
>
> What year is this? What year are we supposed to "learn" to discuss which
> applications should be minimally universal? When are we supposed to
> "learn" to demand unrestricted deployment of VoIP? Or, to "learn" to
> discuss funding for infrastructure? Or, to demand governments provide
> spectrum to non-profits? What else is needed?

This is an issue for North governments who promised to help digital
divide be it for the North or the South and have not reached their
targets.

We have developed networks from a lot of lists including this list who
are making a real difference for the nation of Somaliland.

All I could say is let us focus on the initiatives at the grass roots
level and help out in the best way we can. Time is what we don't have
and I am sure with more support and the will to overcome barriers at the
grass root level is all we need. With these efforts children of
Somaliland will be saved from death, hunger and their education
improved. It is happening and thanks to all those visionaries who came
forward to make a difference for those people. You and I are insignificant
when it comes to the next century, it is the output of our collective
efforts which the future children of this globe will inherit. We can not
leave it to others to do it for us.

Take care all and let us not forget each journey starts with one step.
We  have crossed so many steps and we should not look back.

Mrs. Lulu Todd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
UK ICT Liaison for:
http://www.somalilandforum.com