I have been down this "used p.c. road" to a very great extent. In fact,
I spent several days in the Chicago area with a first class outfit that
supplies good used p.c.'s to the Illinois school system. They come
licensed by Microsoft with a later Windows 2000 o.s. and a monitor for
about $150. FOB Chicago. For some small amounts they will load some
browsers and some free stuff (real audio, Star office.)

All that sounds good until arrival when the units have the usual
problems - plus. Each one is slightly different that the other, so when
there is a problem it is hard to diagnose a solution.

We decided that the only way these could be "cheaper" than some new
alternatives was if the original shipments went to a technical training
school which already was set up to handle a variety of problems. That
part of their training was to give each computer to a student and have
him or her work on it, make it run, load some software, etc. etc...even
"break it down" and put it back together again.

So, if on arrival these come into a facility where there are parts,
inventory controls, skilled individuals who will work as "part of their
education", then used p.c.'s may well be a good solution. But just
because the starting price is $300. less than "new", doesn't mean, in
the end, the $150. unit is cheaper.

(Oh, they would ship you "as is" computers for about $30. each...we had
long discussions about that and absolutely decided the $120. of value
they added was "cheap".

They are real nice guys by the way. You can contact

Willie Cade
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
or Frank Goetz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>