Simon Woodside wrote:
> Not only that, but the high cost of a PC or a laptop needs to be
> considered. A PC is expensive, whether it's connected to high-bandwidth
> or low. So a substantial sum of the total ICT investment isn't going to
> change no matter what the bandwidth plan might be.

I would beg to differ.

There are existing real low cost options for PCs. Computer Aid is a
non-profit organisation that supplies professionally refurbished high
quality PCs for a fraction of the cost of a new machine.

For any given bandwidth the difference in performance between a P2 and a
P4 is imperceptible (or at least insignificant).

We have supplied over 25,000 PCs to 80 different countries. We have 24
staff and expenditure of circa $750,000 per year and yet no member of
staff in our offices has ever used any machine on their desk higher than
a (refurbished) P1 or P2.

The majority of the machines that we are currently shipping are P2s.

It is possible to seriously reduce the total ICT investment without
performance loss of any consequence.

Kind regards

Tony Roberts
Chief Executive
Computer Aid International

433 Holloway Road
London, N7 6LJ. UK.
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7281 0091
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: www.computeraid.org

Registered Charity no. 1069256
Registered Company no. 3442679

This message was sent to you using a quality Pentium
PC fully refurbished by Computer Aid International.