Dear Colleagues,

I am sure there are several ongoing projects addressing the issue of
Information Technology in the institutions of learning in the so-called
developing countries. Of course Africa as a continent can still use more
of such work force training.

The issue is not that of allowing a country to do E-Commerce, but that
of having the proper framework for proper and secure implementation,
that will allow for global virtual enterprise. As pointed out by the
Moderator:

> Cyber-security is essential to e-commerce. Businesses must establish
> trust with their potential customers. Countries need to prevent
> cyber-fraud that can cripple e-commerce activity. Yet, developing
> countries face special obstacles in their efforts to safeguard their
> companies' e-commerce activities. Many lack a legal infrastructure that
> can thwart digital crime. These countries also have conditions that
> foster cyber-crime: many people with sophisticated computer skills and
> very low incomes, in an environment of expanding organized crime.

The e-Centers, as Electronic Commerce Resource Centers, can draw on any
sector of the society, especially the small and medium-sized enterprise
(SMEs) in Africa. The involvement of the government is very essential
because the policies and legal framework have to be coupled with the
business standards and enforcement. In addition, the government is the
biggest customer in most of the African countries. Therefore, all the
stakeholders that understand running of a Virtual Enterprise
infrastructure should be attracted to come up with a viable solution in
each country. As I pointed out in my previous e-mail, in the US, out of
the seventeen Electronic Commerce Resource Centers (ECRC), only two of
the centers are run by Universities, the rest are run by private
business enterprises with technology hubs, and they were all funded and
supported by the government at the inception.

A Virtual Enterprise needs the cooperation of all the stakeholders, be
it government, educational institution or business entities, to build
trust with their customers and create a legal framework that can thwart
digital crime. The industrial environment of today consists of numerous
organizations working together as a virtual enterprise. As I pointed out
in my previous e-mail, the Global Trade and Investment Management
Network (GTIM) group in Nigeria and US are taking measures in working
with stakeholders in building trust among members and seeking
partnerships with organizations interested in cyber-security for Africa.

I thank you for your input.

Best Regards,

O. Olatidoye
GTIM US Coordinator