Thank you, Professor Lanfranco for your message on 11/4/04. I find your
position very clear and helpful. I have some questions for you:

> Are NGO project subsidies assessed in terms of their ability to align
> wider benefits with costs?

Do you know of any proven ways to do this or even just ways you like? Is
it always necessary to quantify these benefits to compare them with
costs? Is it important to quantify social costs (or savings), such as
envirnomental ones, when measuring in this way?

> The sustainability of good projects requires "profitability" as a
> performance indicator and performance tool. If the "profit motive" is
> not the driving force for decision makers, something else must operate
> as the driving force for cost and marketing decisions. If there are
> externalities these must be explicitly addressed in strategic planning
> and in how projects are costed, funded, and how their goods and services
> are priced.

How would you describe these 'externalities' you mention? They seem
very important to me and in my experience with strategic planning they
are expressed at least in the SWOT or similar analysis phase, even in
the newer planning formats like dialog or visioning, but I am not sure
how to quantify them or change them in some way so that they are/can be
expressed in costs, funds, and prices.

> Lastly, all of these require a level of management, administration and
> accountability that is seldom found in development projects.

I think this is a crucial point. It is certainly true about Jhai
Foundation.

I am not sure quantification is the key to measuring these other inputs
and outputs. What is the key? For now I wonder if a whole marriage
between profit-making and benefit-producing is necessary in the extreme
conditions that many of us work. Perhaps the measures can be parallel
rather than integrated, partial rather than holistic, paradoxical rather
than sublime. What may matter most is how we report these things so
that a discussion takes place where we agree to terms. Are we there
yet? Are we near?

At the same time there needs always to be room for 'the gift'. 'The
gift' is usually understood in terms of flows rather than snapshots.
Sometimes I wonder if what we need to do is examine more closely what a
gift really is in cultures where people think more in terms of family
and community than they do in under-developed places like the United
States. Maybe there are clues there for all of us.

I really like what you have written. I just am a bit ignorant and would
like more help.

Thanks.

Yours, in Peace,

Lee Thorn