On 12/9/04, Peter Burgess wrote:

> I would be very interested to get some help in "modernising" my ideas
> about community economic modelling...and look forward to seeing what is
> now being done!

Try looking at a community currency as a measuring tool for local assets
and skills.

If you can establish a local currency that has purchasing power for
service in the locality, that does not leak out down the road to outside
interests, and that is interest-free, you have the beginnings of
economic democracy.

Step one - where are the leaks in the local economy bucket? How much
money flows in and straight out again?

Step two - what assets of people, skills, time exist in the defined
locality?

Step three - create a currency to underwrite these existing assets and
release new potential.

Step four - persuade funders to 'back' the local currency with national
currency if that is required to create confidence.

Historical examples:  Worgl, Austria, 1932,   Schwanenkirchen, Germany,
1932,  US - hundreds of systems, 1933  - all closed down by central
banks and governments invoking the 'bugbear' of inflation.
Source; Bernard Lietaer, The Future of Money - a must read for 21st
century citizens of all nations.

John Rogers
Cydlynydd Prosiect
Project Coordinator

Sefydliad Arian Cymunedol Cymru
Wales Institute for Community Currencies

Canolfan Dyfeisgarwch   Innovation Centre
Parc Busnes Victoria      Victoria Business Park
Festival Drive                  Festival Drive
Glyn Ebwy                      Ebbw Vale
NP23 8XA                      NP23 8XA

Tel: 01495 356722
Fax: 01495 356723
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Y Prosiect Partneriaid gan Prifsygol Cymru Casnewydd, Plant Y Cymoedd ac
Time Banks UK, rhan-ariennir gan yr Cronfa Ddatblygu Ranbarthol
Ewropeiaidd
A partnership between University of Wales Newport, Valleys Kids and Time
Banks UK part financed with European Regional Development Funds.