On 22 September 2015 at 12:06, Hans Muller <j.m.mul...@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> Hi Lizzy and Sandra,
>
> Just check the GWToolsetbox "Upload again/Opnieuw opladen" just before
> submitting the job. If not, error messages like Lizzy's ensue because the
> requested filenames are in use already. GWToolset doesn't dare to
> overwrite without permission.
> Regards, hansmuller

I did not realise (or maybe I forgot) that GWT had this option. If a
batch upload project needs more complex responses, say behaving
differently depending on whether the "digitally identical" file
already exists, whether the filename is in use, or whether the
digitally identical file has been previously uploaded and deleted from
Commons, then it can be worth testing and filtering the XML using
(somewhat complex) the Commons API in advance of pushing it through
GWT, or considering whether GWT is the right solution for a project
that is not a "clean" upload.

For a *really* complex set of problems, such as deliberately mass
overwriting lower-resolution versions, upgrading existing image text
pages with better metadata, uploading the same media in different
transcoded formats, etc., I would recommend creating an on-wiki
project page (under <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:BATCH>
and sticking a notice on the Village Pump to promote it), explaining
the issues, potential solutions, test runs and giving at least a month
for general volunteer feedback on the best approach, before investing
a lot of programming time.

Fae