>Perhaps the same is happening with GHC's RTS.  You can ask gcc-2.95 to
>be less aggressive by using -fno-strict-aliasing (I think; consult
>the documentation).  I'd be interested to hear if this makes any
>difference.

I've already tried this with no success. However, it seems that during the
make process not every files are compiled with `$(TOP)/ghc/drivers/ghc'. Some
are compiled with the standard ghc which (in my setup) uses plain gcc withou
-fno-strict-aliasing. So I have to try it again, with my installed ghc driver
patched.

BTW: Are there any gcc-related problems apart from that I reported (you
remember, the funny thing with the hamming numbers)? I think there was mail
reporting core dumps, but I can't find it in my mail folders.

Kili