| This is something that I have long been wondering about
| (perhaps it is just because of my ignorance):
| Wouldn't stable pointers be a cheaper and more appropriate means
| to get Ord for MVars, STRefs, and IORefs?

Could be -- but do we really want to clog up the stable-pointer table
with an entry for every MVar, whether or not anyone is interested in
ordering?

I think what you want is a distributed way to get a unique,
as George suggested.  Then you can pair that with an MVar when
you want something comparable.  The unique can include the processor
id, so it can be globally unique.  64 bits?

I'm still leery of putting such a unique inside every MVar, IORef etc.
But maybe I shouldn't worry.