Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
[snip]
> The requirement could be even stronger, that the integers are
> increasing, so one can compare relative time of IO events without
Absolutely not.  If you have 5000 processors, how are they to work out
which one did an IO event first?  I don't really see the point anyway.

I definitely prefer my abstract "Unique" type.  Easy to implement efficiently
on any conceivable system.  Also it means whoever writes the definition doesn't
have to worry about whether to use "Int" or "Integer".  (If someone writes a
server in Haskell which manages to stay up for years it could very easily
overflow Int . . .)