I must admit I'm surprised by the reaction to my suggestion.  Here /usr is shared
between lots of machines and there is no question of my installing GHC in /usr/bin
or anything like it.  (The few system adminstrators here are all honest, overworked,
and sadly incorruptible.)  My original problem was that GHC installs the
include files in <prefix>/lib/ghc-4.06/includes meaning you have to know the
version number as well as the prefix.  I suppose this makes sense where
<prefix> is in fact /usr, but I actually make <prefix> depend on the version,
so having to specify the version twice is redundant.  At least my scheme means
that (on the rare times when I can build from source . . .) I can store
multiple CVS releases.