From: Volker Stolz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
         Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

         In local.glasgow-haskell-users, you wrote:
         >> main =
         >>     do
         >>     d <- connectTo "localhost" (PortNumber 80)
         >>     hPutStr d "GET / HTTP/1.0\n\n"
         >>     hFlush d
         >>     c <- hGetContents d
         >>     putStr c
         >
         > whereas on Linux I get the following error:
         > *** Exception: failed
         > Action: connect
         > Reason: Unknown error 142731264

         Please run the program with 'strace', e.g.
         strace -o log ./a.out
         and post the log when it fails.

         Be aware that 'hGetContents' is broken on 5.02.1 if you use it
         extensively (the GC will close already-reused fds and cause
         your program to crash!), the patch was recently postet to -bugs
         by Simon Marlow and works. OTOH, this is not the bug you're seeing.

As I just figured out, reported error above only occurs within ghci.
Otherwise Sockets seem to work on ghc 5.02.1 for Linux.

Sven Eric