Gregory Wright wrote:

I followed the instruction in DebuggingGhcCrashes, and the
instructions in the ghc commentary for building an rts with debugging
and symbols.  (Please let me know if there are any mistakes in
these instructions that you know of!)

The crash seems to always happen eventually, but I do not have
a simple case that reproduces it quickly. Gdb's traceback doesn't give anything
immediately useful, so I assume that the crash is in haskell code, not
in C.  The not-always-reproducible nature of the bug suggests
deferencing a pointer into uninitialized memory.

Both 6.4.2 and HEAD show the problem on OS X.   It can be avoided by
disabling the threaded rts, but that is not acceptable solution.

This is a good datapoint, because it probably rules out much of the threaded RTS code in the RTS itself, which has changed significantly between 6.4.x and HEAD.

If I am to take a few deep breaths and dive back into the problem,
which branch should I use, 6.4.x or HEAD?

No preference, since it's probably the same bug in both. Use whatever's easiest for you.