Christian Maeder wrote:
Simon Marlow schrieb:

Gregory Wright wrote:

Both 6.4.2 and HEAD show the problem on OS X.   It can be avoided by
disabling the threaded rts, but that is not acceptable solution.

This is a good datapoint, because it probably rules out much of the
threaded RTS code in the RTS itself, which has changed significantly
between 6.4.x and HEAD.

Could you summarize the advantages (or need) of the threaded RTS?

The reason we added it to the compiler was so that you could use programs that require -threaded under GHCi. Without it, these programs cannot be used with GHCi.

In general, -threaded is the way forward, and at some point I hope we can make it the default (I was considering this for 6.6, actually). Without -threaded, all FFI calls block the other threads in the program, and this makes it impossible to do lots of things.

It doesn't work under solaris and under linux [1] my nightly compilation
jobs are "killed" every tuesday morning (!) for some reason that i
cannot reproduce. I suspect the threaded RTS and heavy load. I had no
such problems with ghc-6.4.1 before.

What version of glibc are you using on Linux? There were bugs in glibc that could cause deadlocks occasionally, I remember having to upgrade glibc on our RedHat 9 box a while back.

We know about the threaded RTS bugs on Sparc, and 6.4.3 won't be released without a fix for this. I'm actually quite glad that we've forced this into the open with 6.4.2, otherwise the bug would probably have remained dormant, affecting only those who used -threaded on Sparc.