On 12 Aug 2008, at 15:46, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

It's unclear exactly what to do about this.  The most plausible
possibility is to keep the core libraries that are shared with other
implementations in darcs as now, and mirror them in git for GHC
developers.  That will impose pain on GHC developers to keep the git
stuff in sync with the darcs master copies; but at least other
developers would be unaffected.

FWIW, I started a wiki page that tries a direct comparison between Darcs and Git:

  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GitForDarcsUsers

Some mappings are simple, some are more complicated and will require adopting a different workflow. I still recommend reading a tutorial, but this cheat sheet should be a good start if you don't want to spend much time to learn Git just yet. Where no directly corresponding command exists or emulating it would be too messy, I try to hint towards other work flows.

I encourage everyone to add useful tips and examples both from users who already use Git and later on, once we have gathered more experience. I believe that Git has some features which can improve our productivity and I'd like this page to also collect tips how to do so.

/ Thomas
--
Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.