Thomas Schilling:
Are you advocating for ease of use by new developers or for existing
developers? Current GHC hackers have to learn Git anyways and know
Darcs already. Library patches still have to be recorded separately,
so it would be a bit weird, but not much harder, really.

I am arguing for both. It would be more than weird. For example, if you branch ghc, you usually need to branch the core libraries, too. Doing that in two different vcs sounds like a mess to me.

Moreover, as I wrote a few times before, some reasons for switching in the first place are invalidated by not having the core libraries in git, too. For example, one complaint about darcs is that it either doesn't build (on the Sun Solaris T1 and T2 machines) or is buggy (on Mac OS with MacPorts), and hence people have trouble getting the sources out of darcs in the first place. How is that going to be addressed if some crucial code still needs to be obtained using darcs?

Manuel
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Manuel M T Chakravarty