Gregory Wright:
On Aug 14, 2008, at 9:12 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:

Moreover, as I wrote a few times before, some reasons for switching in the first place are invalidated by not having the core libraries in git, too. For example, one complaint about darcs is that it either doesn't build (on the Sun Solaris T1 and T2 machines) or is buggy (on Mac OS with MacPorts), and hence people have trouble getting the sources out of darcs in the first place. How is that going to be addressed if some crucial code still needs to be obtained using darcs?

Regarding darcs on OS X from MacPorts, I am not aware (or have been sent any bug reports) that there are problems with the latest darcs-2.0.0 port. Is there something that I should know (and try to fix)?

The latest port defaults to wget instead of libcurl since I have noticed darcs spinning endlessly when using libcurl. I haven't had time to dtrace what is going on but I'm guessing the underlying problem is likely some misunderstanding of the signal handling API or some corner case of blocking/nonblocking IO.

Well, that "spinning endlessly" is the bug I am referring to. I re- checked my MacPorts darcs2 installation and, you are right, there was an update that removes the use of libcurl. It seems to work *much* better now.

Thanks for the fix!

You may want to publicise this a bit further. When I asked on #darcs about the problem a few days ago, nobody knew about this update to the port.

Manuel