Gunther

Could you make a Trac bug report for this, and attach your source file?

It'd help if you could first check that things are still bad with GHC 6.10.4.

Another useful thing would be to provide data on whether the behaviour is
non-linear.  Eg try with 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, etc elements in your list and see how
it behaves.

Providing reproducible and well-characterised bug reports greatly increases the
likelihood that we'll fix it!

Thanks

Simon