The leading underscore invokes the typed holes extension. If you want to
use such names, you'll need {-# LANGUAGE NoTypedHoles #-} as the first line
of the source file. (I am not sure why this extension was enabled by
default.)

This is very concening for me. Extensions should *never* be enabled by default! When the TypedHoles discussion originally came up there was definitely talk of using a switch to enable them (in fact, IIRC, they weren't originally really quite an extension, just a compiler mode, but that may have been a misinterpretation on my part).

Having them on by default mean that valid Haskell2010 programs might get rejected by GHC by default, which is a pretty bad state of affairs.

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted