But that still does not explain why you should get as low as 50 MB/s for
a single stream single client write when the backend can support direct
IO throughput of more than 700 MB/s.

On the server, can you collect:

# iostat -xcdh 2 > iostat.log.brickXX

for the duration of the dd command ?

and

# strace -f -o stracelog.server -tt -T -e trace=write,writev -p
<glusterfsd.pid>
(again for the duration of the dd command)

Hi John,

A small change in the request. I hope you have not already spent time on this. The strace command should be:

strace -f -o stracelog.server -tt -T -e trace=pwrite -p
<glusterfsd.pid>

Thanks,
Pavan

With the above, I want to measure the delay between the writes coming in
from the client. iostat will describe the IO scenario on the server.
Once the exercise is done, please attach the iostat.log.brickXX and
stracelog.server.