First, I want to say that I'm a bit unnerved because I had written most of
a response after trying out the variations you described, Marko, and the
message has disappeared!  I did not hit delete, at least not knowingly.

Anyway, for detail-oriented direction-followers such as I, no step is to be
assumed.  As I have discovered and then saw Andy also has mentioned, Reply
has to be hit before any of the other steps.  However, to then use Ctrl+A
to expand the ellipses is two keystrokes.  You're done if you want your
reply to be at the bottom, but add one more step if you want to start at
the top.  Similarly, pressing Ctrl+Shift+A is three keystrokes to expand
the ellipses, but at least the cursor is positioned at the top.  Add
another keystroke if you want the cursor to be at the bottom.  The down
arrow *or* End key will get you to the bottom.   Finally, clicking only on
the ellipses to expand is *one keystroke* with the cursor positioned at the
top.  I'm a believer that in typing, less is better.

I like learning variations, whatever the topic.
*~Diane*
*
*