On Monday, December 9, 2013 9:09:26 PM UTC+8, billhansen wrote:

> Marko -
>
> Thanks for reminding me that the gmail download feature is already
> available. I missed that in Jeff's note.

But Marko is decidedly wrong, it is NOT available at the moment, only the
calendar download is: "*The ability to download your Gmail messages will be
rolled out over the next month while Calendar data is available to download
for everyone today."*

> I've used Thunderbird in the past. Probably it's grown up somewhat by now,
> and is more stable. I'll give it a try again.

Agree.  I tried to use Thunderbird to automatically download Gmail, and for
a while it worked, until, mysteriously (despite my best efforts to prevent
this), it was also *deleting* emails as it downloaded them (it would not
'save to server a copy').  Luckily, I found out about this before all my
emails were deleted on the Google servers, and was able to restore them
from the trash bin.  Thunderbird may have matured by now, but I'm not
taking any chances.  I'll wait next year for the Gmail email download tool.

> Just FYI - I did not write anything about the "FBI ransomware" virus. I do
> agree that the cloud is not safer than a well backed-up local HD or
> network.

Yes, agree.  The cloud is not safer than a well backed-up local HD, and in
fact less safe, since in most freeware cloud storage sites you are not
allowed to keep multiple copies of your backup, only one copy (or so it
seems--the paid versions seem to be different but I don't use them).  In
any event, the FBI ransomware will infect your entire shared cloud drive
and corrupt all your cloud backups.  By contrast, I backup with two
different USB drives so even if one is corrupted, I can wipe the PC clean
and then use the other USB drive to restore my C: drive. You cannot do that
with a cloud backup to my knowledge.

RL