Just as a test can you try compiling gromacs using gcc if it's installed on your origin?

You might need to pass some flags to ./configure (see ./configre --help) to tell it to use gcc instead.

I think I already have ANSI C compiler so I installed FFTW 3.1 before installing GROMACS as mentioned. I installed FFTW in both single as well as double precision mode as advised and it went through.

cc-3316 cc: ERROR File = gmx_fft_fftw3.c, Line = 186

The expression must be a pointer to a complete object type.