On Jul 17, 2007, at 4:45 PM, Soren Enemark wrote:

Dear Gromacsers,

I have been doing free energy perturbations Gly->Ala in one strand of collagene.

Now, the problem is that I have later closely reread the section 5.6.4 ("Free
Energy Calculations") p. 105 in which it says:
"Bonded interactions between atoms that are not perturbed do not need B parameter specifications ..".

My questions are:
1. Does this mean that bonded interactions between atoms that ARE perturbed DO need B parameter specifications? Even if they are the same in state
A and B?
2. What about the other topology parameters (angles, dihedrals etc), do they need to be specified too?
3. What happens if I have not specified these specifications?

Since a couple of years we automatically copy the A state parameters to the B state if the latter aren't specified.

So, there are really three options e.g. for an entry in the [ bonds ] section:

1. You only specify the bond atoms & type without any parameters (most common approach)

In this case, the A state parameters will be assigned based on the atomtypes in the A state, and the B state parameters likewise based on the B state atomtypes.
     The interaction is perturbed.

2. You provide the A state parameters explicitly, but not any B state parameters:

Since you've decided to override the automatic assignment your choice will be used in both the A and B states (i.e., the interaction will not be perturbed)

3. You provide both A and B state parameters explicitly:

Your parameters will be assigned to each state, and the interaction is perturbed.

Cheers,

Erik