ABEL Stephane 175950 wrote:
Hi Gromacs users After many try this weekend with my problem with do_dssp I come back to the mailing list
First, as David said me last friday in a previous message I have test my dssp
program with example of pdb file from the Protein Data Bank (1HRC) (with one
protein configuration in it)

It works ! the calculation of the secondary structure is made and i obtain an output. When i use this pdb with do_dssp with the following command /applications/gromacs-3.3.2-fftw/bin/do_dssp -s test_template.pdb -f test_template.pdb -o ss.xpm I obtain the menu and I choose 5 (MainChain)
I obtained the follwing message:

There are 103 residues in your selected group
Opening library file /applications/gromacs-3.3.2-fftw/share/gromacs/top/ss.map
Reading frame       0 time   -1.000
Back Off! I just backed up ddEG4D6s to ./#ddEG4D6s.1#

And the calculation is not made (I wait more than ten minutes) and i obtain no ss.xpm
I dont understand what is the problem

This could easily be too short a time if there are multiple frames in your pdb file. I don't know whether you have or need to follow the suggestion I made last time... http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2008-January/031720.html

Also, per "man do_dssp" you need to have set your DSSP environment variable correctly.

Finally, test do_dssp on the same .pdb file you say works with dssp.