[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

I tried using no temperature coupling and no constraints, that did not help.
If I run the simulation without the position restraints it works OK.

OK, so they're (interacting with something else to be) generating a numerical problem.

Could there by something wrong with the posre file (I'll attach it at the end of the email). I want one of the atoms in the lipid to stay in one place and the rest to wiggle around it. Is there any other way to do that which is not position restraints.

After the fact, you could choose to translate any atom of your choice to a fixed point and the system with it, using (say) VMD. It wouldn't mean much of anything, apart from probably no longer being a simulation in an inertial reference frame.

Unless there's a meaningful purpose to seeing such a thing in a test run, it's really not worth anyone's time. If there is, then explaining it the first time makes you sound much more like someone with a real issue, than someone just trying to make something fit some preconception about pleasant appearance.

Thanks Gadi

[ position_restraints ]
; atom  type      fx      fy      fz
     1     1  0  0  0
     2     1  0  0  0
     3     1  0  0  0
     4     1  0  0  0
     5     1  0  0  0
     6     1  0  0  0
     7     1  0  0  0
     8     1  1000.0  1000.0  1000.0
     9     1  0  0  0
    10     1  0  0  0
    11     1  0  0  0
    12     1  0  0  0
    13     1  0  0  0
    14     1  0  0  0
    15     1  0  0  0
    16     1  0  0  0
    17     1  0  0  0
    18     1  0  0  0
    19     1  0  0  0
    20     1  0  0  0
    21     1  0  0  0
    22     1  0  0  0
    23     1  0  0  0
    24     1  0  0  0
    25     1  0  0  0
    26     1  0  0  0
    27     1  0  0  0
    28     1  0  0  0
    29     1  0  0  0
    30     1  0  0  0
    31     1  0  0  0
    32     1  0  0  0
    33     1  0  0  0
    34     1  0  0  0
    35     1  0  0  0
    36     1  0  0  0
    37     1  0  0  0
    38     1  0  0  0
    39     1  0  0  0
    40     1  0  0  0
    41     1  0  0  0
    42     1  0  0  0
    43     1  0  0  0
    44     1  0  0  0
    45     1  0  0  0
    46     1  0  0  0
    47     1  0  0  0
    48     1  0  0  0
    49     1  0  0  0
    50     1  0  0  0

That's probably fine if grompp doesn't complain - but you can delete all the position restraints with zero force, since they are doing nothing.