Yanmei Song wrote:
  Hi, David:

  I performed the NEMD and got the following results for averaging the
last 1 ns. So the second column should be the acceleration and last
column should be the 1/viscosity. But notice that there are so many
big negative numbers, which makes the average negative. Can you help
me out here? what would be possible reason for this.

xmgrace will tell you which is which, I think the first is shear viscosity and the second bulk viscosity. Your system might be too smal (Berk Hess recommends at least 1000 molecules) or the simulation too short. However bulk viscosity is much more difficult to get right. Once more, read the literature, and use the tools (xmgrace) the information is in the xvg file, but you cut it out here.

  1000.000061   -0.007012  -369.713501
  1020.000061    0.006066  320.372314
  1040.000000    0.002330  122.940369
  1060.000000   -0.001427  -75.253372
  1080.000000    0.002888  152.323944
  1100.000000    0.005696  300.385651
  1120.000000    0.002224  117.322388
  1140.000000    0.005990  316.127655
  1160.000000    0.008966  472.723846
  1180.000000    0.004485  236.538010
  1200.000000   -0.000249  -13.136140
  1220.000000    0.005020  264.962219
  1240.000000    0.009248  488.308197
  1260.000000   -0.000559  -29.509850
  1280.000000   -0.003190  -168.296112
  1300.000122    0.002394  126.418747
  1320.000122    0.003682  194.374222
  1340.000122    0.000371   19.600368
  1360.000122   -0.002311  -122.002975
  1380.000122    0.001776   93.685326
  1400.000122   -0.003357  -177.067062
  1420.000122   -0.002963  -156.359772
  1440.000122   -0.001078  -56.895496
  1460.000122   -0.002273  -119.947853
  1480.000122   -0.000658  -34.716648
  1500.000122   -0.000928  -48.969398
  1520.000122    0.003464  182.804337
  1540.000122   -0.001149  -60.652023
  1560.000122    0.004629  244.299088
  1580.000122    0.000485   25.557356
  1600.000122    0.002339  123.374527
  1620.000122    0.002612  137.982239
  1640.000122    0.002827  149.150589
  1660.000122   -0.001614  -85.147079
  1680.000122    0.005144  271.660522
  1700.000122   -0.002053  -108.302643
  1720.000122    0.006096  321.414948
  1740.000122    0.006021  317.682129
  1760.000122   -0.001203  -63.409481
  1780.000122    0.000394   20.755482
  1800.000122    0.001910  100.748962
  1820.000122   -0.001588  -83.742523
  1840.000122    0.002268  119.578842
  1860.000122    0.002422  127.769302
  1880.000122   -0.000288  -15.188296
  1900.000122    0.003324  175.257568
  1920.000122    0.003688  194.440231
  1940.000122    0.005800  305.705505

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM, David van der Spoel