I only now noticed Justin mail on g_wham.
You can probably also use pull_geometry=distance and pull_init=1,
if you starting structure has group1 close to 1 nm below group 0.

Agreed, although this will not work when the force constant is not strong enough to inhibit any sampling >0 -- wherein the distribution about 0 would become bimodal and this is something that I can not allow.

As far as I can tell, pull_geometry=position, pull_init1<0, and pull_vec1=0 0 0 is the solution, as per my previous message.

Thank you,
Chris.